[ martian days ]

A recent image search on "Hakim Bey" came up with this little fellow...Since he seemed eerily familiar, I leapt into a frenzy of google-research, at last settling his identity as Orko from the He-Man and Masters Of the Universe series-
this in turn evoking hazy memories of early childhood days and playground ennui:
In a small forest behind the motorway we acted out our bizarre fantasy scenarios, using the characters found on thrashy cartoon networks such as Sky and Children's Channel (-which we watched as cable-pirates, receiving the signals from our neighbour's antenna-), detective books, or pulpy sci-fi and "indian heroes"-comics...
The kids who ruled the block ruthlessly delegated the parts: I was under no circumstances allowed to play She-Ra, this thunderous heroine reserved strictly for the more popular ranks in the pecking order- if I was obedient and made no fuss, I was most graciously allowed to act He-Man (-the unwanted character-), Robin Hood, or most frequently- one of the Babylonian Guards who protected the Gold City spaceship from hostile attacks by the Death Star Orcs or Aslan's enemies...
Silver Arrow, the legendary indian who fought wild west bandits together with his white blood brother Falcon and the lovely squaw (-and the tribe's only judo expert-) Moonbeam, were also favourite subjects- I had to play Tinka, her tame baby puma...Luckily, Tinka was quite an aggressive little cub, and could free her captive friends from the corrupt sherriff's wagon by means of biting and scratching through solid steel locks, cleverly carrying with her the machete knife they had lost and saving their freedom. In fights with Sauron's Dark Knights, she would always win.
What I regretted most, apart from turning my back to these dubious shenanigans altogether for more mature but scary romps to the blocks on the other side of the river (-we once caught sight of a man showering for open curtains, giggling as we hid behind the parking lane wall to watch him pirouetting inside a cloud of bubbly foam while obviously barking along to the radio we couldn't hear-), was running away from the rhubarb garden of this eccentric old bloke who lived on the forest border-
( He told us to stop as we tried scrounging with us some half-rotten apples under the trees, the sound of his creaky voice AND his schaefer dog was enough to get us running for gold medal olympics, but we later learned he was a most peaceful little man who pickled his apples and lived off the land while (ghost-)writing obscure novels about life in the scottish marine...That would've been a conversation and a half...)
We forgot all about him though, balancing on the garage roofs and daring each other to jump down on the concrete ground without breaking our necks or the precious Transformers hidden inside our pockets.
These people living in "real" houses seemed as alien to us as anyone out of a King Robot cartoon, and were no doubt even madder- Who would want, we thought, to share their meals with a flea-ridden dog with incontinence and (-probably-) rabies?
Dogs were feared by the volume of their aggressive growls and razor-sharp teeth, P. the next-door bully had his leg bitten raw by some rabid labrador on an apple scump-spree- Respect is something you learn, so it wasn't for nothing we hated these beasts for the fright they spread...For some reason, only people who lived in villas seemed to own dogs- We wondered whether this had something to do with the apple trees, maybe the dogs were radioactive from the acid rain and had mutated into slimy beasts with their only task to rid their gardens of slugs and cheeky thieving children?
-Anyway. My favourite spot in these days was the abandoned power station by the river, I'd climb up and hide from the bullies and watch as a bird's eye over the highrise blocks and the concrete and the children- Far, far away, as tiny Lego people, distant screams and laughs and the concrete structures as Clarkian settlements on some green-grassed outpost planet from a different galaxy...Later my friend Christine and I used to send each other mirror signals from each side of the river- gleaming blind spots dancing in front of our eyes, like the Alien Sun.
-It's curious after all these years, the bits and pieces you choose to remember.

RELATED LINK, SHORT STORY:
[ Ray Bradbury: All Summer In A Day ]







6 Comments:
I'm not sure there's much choice in it at all......
Great post......
Yeah, I guess you're right...The memories choose you, not the other way around...
Sometimes I wonder whether there's really a Jungian "collective unconscious" out there...That might explain where things come from when you write fiction instead of just drawing from memory...I refuse to believe that inspiration only come from yourself, but again that's the mystical approach and you science buffs are free to mean the opposite, in fact empirically I guess that's the most plausible theory anyway-
But that doesn't stop you wondering, I think it was Margaret Atwood who talks about that "dark hole" all writers find themselves in pre-invention, in those moments before inpiration where you wonder what to write-
As soon as inspiration hits you, you're no longer in control of what you do, you have no idea where you're gonna go, you just go with the flow and what you find surprises you just as much as everyone else- it's almost like automatic writing.
Remember one english exam when I was about 15, when I wrote a short story non-stop for 12 pages, without making a draft or anything, without any corrections, just frenetic writing it down before I "lost it"...It was like downloading a computer program, I could see the text in my head, could scan back and forth between the different sections and when I started to write the beginning I already knew what the ending and the paragraphs were going to be like, all I got to do was to complete the words, perhaps improvise a sentence or two or expand on something, the rest was clear from the beginning...Almost scary, when you think of it...
Thanks to a sloppy friend I managed to loose my only copy of that story, it really bugs me because to read it would be extremely interesting, a lot of the english words I used in it were words I didn't even know at the time, it came from nowhere...As if out from the aether, just like that...That made me think a bit...
But perhaps it's all in our minds...I don't know...We'll never know for sure...But it still puzzles me...
Without painting myself into some kind of empirical, objectivists corner (I'll hate the colour scheme when I get there..)I'm certainly puzzled by the romantic tendency to look outside the self for sources of creativity. It looks likely (though maybe a tad anthropocentric) that the human brain is probably one of the single most remarkable, improbable, ''miraculous' occurences in the universe - yet somehow that ain't enough and vast numbers of us go looking for that ghostly other.
-Yeah...i concur, objectively
But i have an evil tendency to romanticise things, and it's more a "make-believe", like Father Christmas or the easter bunny...
you don't objectively think they excist, but at the same time you'd LIKE to think that they do...
at least when you're a kid.
it's a kind of game.
just like Alan Moore and that magic malarkey, i wonder if he really really honestly believes in it-
as soon as you've chosen a belief system, you can get everything to fit into that cosmos, you start seeing everything from that "box"-
i'm not religious in that sense, but i've constructed a kind of personal universe when i write/make music etc.-
and even though i know it's just a construct of my imagination, it feels just as real as anything else-
that's why i'm so interested in reading up on mysticism, sufism, etc.- combinin a lot of these things works for me, personally-
others might not think like that and think the choice is between one pure set of dogmas or believe nothing at all...i'm more flexible, and like to imagine parallel worlds and fantastic scenarios, just for myself and my mind...sometimes it takes on a life of its own, such as when i write for example.
and i'm happy to have such a vast structure of references to draw from.
(or perhaps that's just me...)
It is you......
Not in a flippant sense, but I guess these are the issues that make you what you are ?
I was just going to post that, as an afterthought-
There's on the one hand the sort of people who are inclined to have some sort of spiritual searching/longing, and on the other those who are perfectly happy with this here world and feel they don't need no mumbo-jumbo mystic waffle to justify the wonders of the universe and of the mind...
Both equally valid options IMO, unless you're anti-religion of course, which i'm not.
Each to their own and whatever floats your boat, i suppose-
And as you say, the only certain thing is the mind, and that is perhaps the most wonderful things of all...
Have a jolly good weekend, sir-
*hic*
Post a Comment
<< Home