[don't let bright shiny things fool you]
The student café/bar/pub thingy around the corner where I live has gone “trendy”...I don’t know what they were thinking, but when you walk in through the heavy glass doors and look around, you’d be forgiven to think you’d arrived at some dubious establishment down in LA or Vegas somewhere...Because I’m afraid to tell they haven’t really succeeded in adding an enjoyable “atmosphere” of any kind, but maybe that was the point?...Post-postmodern irony, or just incredibly camp? I still haven’t decided- but I’d like to know what drugs the decorators were on....Because: -They’ve glued a pair of life-sized,plastic flamingoes to the wall...Bright neon pink jolly things...And it looks like they’re forever walking up towards the roof, -to get away from the hell of drunken students and raving/screaming football fans maybe?...I’m rather starting to like them. -They’re actually the best bit of the whole new,oh-so-minimalist interior.
Well. Anyway. When I first noticed the flamingoes, I couldn’t stop giggling to myself, because the first thing that popped into my mind was: “...ah, John Waters!-Pink flamingoes!Ahahahaha!”...And a bizarre image started to form in my mind- of Divine and a bunch of drunken transvestites storming in and starting to dance around on the bar, while their friends convinced the staff to put on a karaoke contest- with the winner getting free drinks and a little-miss-barbie tiara...Wouldn’t that be nice?...Anything other than those bloody students would’ve been just fine,I tell you...I can’t believe I’m one myself...It feels like a world apart.
...My wild years are over now, and it feels rather good actually...As if a burden is gone...No more insecure posing, no more playing games...Just the real me, the woman you see is the woman you get...I’m done with faking. And that is just fine. -People can see me for who I am now, and I’m not ashamed anymore. I’m not seeing myself through the eyes of others anymore. And it has taken a long way just to get that far.
-And the student bar?..I just shrugged, looked around at the dressed-up, see-and-get-seen clientèle, ogled the handsome bartender’s arse, and left... Later that evening, at some shabby,smoke-ridden pub downtown, I had the most fun I’d ever had in a while...But that’s another story.
More strength to those who dare stand out from the crowd...Conformity and sheepwalking fashionistas are not my cup of tea. Real life and real people are much more interesting...But i bet you already knew that....Goodnight! :)
------------------------late-night hellos and lots of love,[[ the X ]]--
----------
-----







2 Comments:
Bright neon pink jolly flamingo things on the wall? Neat-o!!!
-Well,actually,they've done some changes to the flamingoes now...They've swapped them around,so that they now face *downwards* instead...
So now it seems like they're about to jump down from the wall and right at you...Quite unnerving after a drink or two,i'd imagine...
-the X
Post a Comment
<< Home